Sunday, May 2, 2010

Why Local?

"We're going local" is a popular phrase lately but we have been doing it as much as possible starting with our food.

For us, local is fresher, tastier and really easy to buy!

I introduced our CSAs in my last post and now want to share my newest plan. It's just getting started but I've been working on some details for the last couple of months.

This year, actually just over 1 week from now, I will turn 40. Instead of a big party, I decided to focus my energy on my passion for local, healthy, so tasty even the kids will eat it, food.

While watching the movie Food, Inc. with my family this past winter, I knew that I had to do more than just change what we eat in our home. I want to help people make informed decisions about what their families eat here in Lawrence, Massachusetts.

I believe that if people understand the value of something that is easily available to them, it will empower them to make healthy choices. The local movement is already starting in the public schools and in the region. My "big idea" is to bring together some of those people already working for a healthy change on one day to see how many more people we can reach.

The "big idea" is to celebrate the 1st Annual Local Food Festival in Lawrence. This festival will take place on Saturday, August 7th with details to follow.

Stay tuned as we get things rolling. Be prepared for lots of tasty local food from several of the best chefs in the city. It is going to be good!


1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Hope this encourages folks to buy local thereby getting fresher food and supporting their neighbor growers as well.
    Look forward to the festival in August!

    ReplyDelete